As soon as I found out about the viral Tiktok Yogurt Custard Toast, I was IN. It checked off all the boxes – it’s easy, uses simple, wholesome ingredients, and it’s a fun take on breakfast which can get pretty dang boring. All you need for this viral custard toast is an egg, a little greek yogurt, your sliced bread of choice, and whatever toppings you want! There are so many possibilities.
My toddlers never want to eat breakfast. Ever. I know you’re never supposed to force kids to eat and yada yada yada, and I never do. But I KNOW they’re going to ask for snacks in the car and they still refuse to eat breakfast. Anyway, the best part about this yogurt custard toast recipe… THEY ACTUALLY ATE IT AT BREAKFAST! Maybe that’s the real reason I love it so much.
I do think their little bodies typically just don’t get hungry til around 9 or 10, so the other great thing about this breakfast is that it’s travel-friendly. I can make it ahead of time and give it to them on-the-go.
Just as importantly though, this yogurt custard toast trend is exciting for ME! I love how easy and simple it is, with good wholesome ingredients. I’ve eaten it 3 days in a row and don’t see myself getting sick of it anytime soon. I actually prefer the savory toasts more than the sweet ones, but I could totally see going for a sweet one for a snack or dessert. Okay, let’s get to cooking the TikTok Yogurt Custard toast…
Here’s what you need:
- 2-3 slices of soft bread. The original recipe calls for thick slices of brioche bread, but I tried this with 3 pieces of thin-slices Dave’s Killer Bread and it still worked out perfectly. I might try the brioche for a special weekend breakfast!
- 1 egg. Opt for organic, pasture-raised eggs if you can!
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt. I haven't tried this with regular yogurt yet, but my guess would be that it would be a little runnier.
- Sweetener is totally optional. I prefer without. But if you like, add 2-3 teaspoons of maple syrup or date syrup.
- Toppings: you could go sweet with some berries, pomegranate seeds, or other fresh or frozen fruit, or you could go savory with some sliced deli turkey or cheese! There are endless options. See below for some tasty ideas!
How to make the TikTok Yogurt Custard Toast:
- If you’re using an air fryer, preheat it to 350. If you’re using an oven, preheat it to 425.
- In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt, 1 egg, and maple syrup if you’re using it. Whisk until smooth and there are no clumps.
- Using your fingers or the back of a spoon or fork, press into the middle of each slice of bread to create a nest.
- Spoon the custard mixture into the indent, then add desired toppings.
- If using an air fryer, bake for 8-10 minutes at 350. If using an oven, bake for 10-12 minutes at 425. The custard should be pretty firm when it’s done. I tried baking it at 350 in the oven but it took 25 minutes! Turning the heat up make it cook faster without compromising the taste.
- Feel free to add a honey or maple syrup drizzle to your yogurt custard toast, some flaky sea salt, or some hemp seeds after baking!
Here's a quick video tutorial of how to make the viral yogurt custard toast.
Options & Substitutions
I Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. At 10 minutes the custard was still runny, I like it a bit firm.
You can totally use date syrup instead of maple syrup if you have it, or omit the sweetener altogether!
You could top with whatever you’re in the mood for! There are no local fruits in season in NJ right now, and the stuff at the grocery store is either STUPID EXPENSIVE or just doesn’t taste as good, so lately I’ve been using a lot of frozen fruits. I tried this with frozen peaches and it worked out so well! After baking you couldn’t even tell I just poured some boiling water over the peaches to soften them up before baking. Here are some other great options:
- Fresh or frozen strawberries and blueberries
- Peaches and pomegranate seeds (my kids’ favorite)
- Raspberries and pumpkin seeds
- Sliced turkey (chopped), cheddar, tomato and basil (my favorite)
- Almond butter — note, nut butter is typically too thick to drizzle, so you have to thin it out with water or a syrup like maple syrup or date syrup if you want that “drizzle” look.
- Handful of dark chocolate chips (we love Hu gems, but they’re huge so I chopped them up for this recipe. It was more like chocolate shavings/chunks.) and almond butter and
- Optional: drizzle with raw honey or more maple syrup
Viral TikTok Yogurt Custard Toast
This viral recipe features just three base ingredients and is ready in under 15 minutes! It's toddler-friendly and there are endless possibilities for toppings so breakfast is easy peasy for the next several weeks! You can make this ahead of time, too, for easy travel.
- baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 2-3 slices soft bread (Most people trying this trend have used brioche, we tried thin-sliced Dave's Killer Bread and it came out great!)
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tsp maple or date syrup (optional)
- pomegranate seeds + fresh or frozen peach slices
- chopped deli ham or turkey + cheddar + basil
- chocolate chips + almond butter + hemp seeds
- pumpkin seeds + almond butter
- proscuitto + arugula
- cheddar + mozzarella cheese
- thinly sliced apples + peanut butter
If you’re using an air fryer, preheat it to 350. If you’re using an oven, preheat it to 425.
In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt, 1 egg, and maple syrup if you’re using it. Whisk until smooth and there are no clumps.
Using your fingers or the back of a spoon or fork, press into the middle of each slice of bread to create a nest.
Spoon the custard mixture into the indent, then add desired toppings.
If using an air fryer, bake for 8-10 minutes at 350. If using an oven, bake for 10-12 minutes at 425. The custard should be pretty firm when it’s done. I tried baking it at 350 in the oven but it took 25 minutes! Turning the heat up make it cook faster without compromising the taste.
Feel free to add a honey or maple syrup drizzle, some flaky sea salt, or some hemp seeds after baking!
Nutrition facts are for the pomegranate + peach version (1 tbsp pomegranate seeds and 1/4 peach)
More like this
If you love date-sweetened desserts and candy bar dupes, try my Homemade Twix recipe! It is SO decadent and satisfying.